Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jeeves and Wooster in Blackadder - A Hidden Reference?


JEEVES AND WOOSTER IN BLACKADDER

Blackadder, quite simply one of the most hilarious shows to ever light up the screen. Jeeves and Wooster… a rib tickling comedy, based on a delightful series of novels. Stellar shows in their own right. A connection between the two seems improbable right? … WRONG!

In what was a revelation of sorts, good friend Loonan had the following observations to make: Laurie’s mannerisms in seasons 3 and 4 were suggestive of another role he was to play pretty sure, that of Bertram Wooster. The 'tally ho’s and the ‘pip pip’s and the pomposity have Wooster written all over them. As if that weren’t enough, Stephen Fry’s General Melchett constantly refers to George’s ‘Uncle Bertie’… In the centre of the Jeeves and Wooster series is a pair comprising a rich dumb guy and his enterprising butler. Structurally, it seems similar to… yes, you guessed that right, Blackadder the Third. Well well well…

An inside joke?

After extensive research (ahem), here’s the timeline. Blackadder the Third, which was when Laurie came into the limelight, released in 1987. The first episode of Blackadder Goes Forth ran in September, two years later. The first episode of Jeeves and Wooster was broadcast in April 1990. So it all comes down to this: were the Blackadder cast aware that Laurie was going to play Wooster in say 3 years? Was this intentional?

Start exaggeration. COULD THIS BE THE INSIDE JOKE OF THE CENTURY!? Stop exaggeration.

Kudos to Loonan whose keen intellect spotted this. In case you’d like to thank him, do send him a bag of grade A manure. :P

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahem, I can't believe I'm going to out myself for the massive stalker type fan I am, but... Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry have often talked about working with each other and the kind of roles each took on, and apparently going back to their days at Oxford, a conclusion was arrived at by consensus that Laurie made a natural for the Bertie Wooster type of role - what they called "an upper class twit". Which might be why Emma Thompson thinks Laurie a natural fit for Henry Higgins in that My Fair Laidy remake she's working on coz with Bertie and House under his belt, Laurie could pretty much sleepwalk his way through this role. And he could sing which Rex Harrison couldn't.

However, I'm willing to go along with the conspiracy /inside joke theory if my cover isn't completely blown.

Dear Hugh,
No it wasn't me by the bushes last night. Why do you ask?
<3 XOXO
Amrita.

Pradeep said...

Whoa, activity!

Okay, your comment makes a lot of sense and sheds some light on things.

As for your identity, don't despair. What happens in this blog, stays in this blog.

... I think.

PS: Indiequill makes a great read. Thoroughly entertaining stuff!

Figment said...

!!!!
I also just encountered this grand nuance. Being at home for the afternoon, I stuck in my fellow's BlackAdder Dvd's and who do I see but Bertie Wooster in horrid makeup and a stupid wig on the screen!

(I'm glad I'm not the only geeky one to have noticed the similarity.)

Hugh said...

May I pronounce you my cunning plan to make almost every Blackadder stars reunite?
It's as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University:

http://hugh223.deviantart.com/art/My-Fair-Lady-2010-remake-cast-141911639

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello dear, My name is aliys. I live in USA. I have done Btech in mechanical engineering.I am working in 24 hour Des Moines Towing. I share many web sites. Thanks for posting.